The UNIDO RECP Demonstration Project
The RECP Demonstration Project falls under UNIDO’s Result 2 Component (Output 2.1 and 2.2) within the framework of the overall EU-funded, “EU4Environment” Action. The UNIDO activities will support the adoption and promotion of Resource Efficient and Cleaner Production (RECP) in the six EU’s EaP countries: Armenia, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Georgia, Republic of Moldova, and Ukraine. The implementation of the project will build upon the results and achievements of the regional RECP Demonstration Component implemented as part of the EU-funded EaP GREEN Programme 2013-2018 (SAP ID 120143) completed in April 2018. The project will apply proven preventive environmental approaches and productivity concepts of the RECP methodology as a cornerstone of a transition to a Green Economy in the region.
Overall, the objective of the UNIDO Demonstration RECP Project is to improve the resource productivity and environmental performance of enterprises and other organizations in order to put the green economy into practice.
As part of the intervention, the Project will
- demonstrate the business case for resource efficiency and cleaner production in the companies of the region
- contribute to building capacity for RECP service delivery
- introduce advanced RECP approaches like best practices of eco-industrial parks (EIPs) and circular economy (CE).
The RECP Demonstration Project in Azerbaijan
The RECP Demonstration Project started in Azerbaijan in April 2015. The selected companies benefitted from undertaking a RECP assessment as a cost-saving opportunity to reduce materials and energy consumption, and to minimize the generation of waste and emissions.
For more details on the process of selecting SMEs to participate in the UNIDO RECP Demonstration Project, please visit our Call for companies section.
Before the EU4Environment Action, the UNIDO Demonstration RECP Project fell under the third component of the EaP Green Programme and it supported the following actions in each of the six EaP countries:
- The creation of human and institutional capacities for RECP;
- The demonstration, dissemination, and replication of RECP in priority sectors (chemicals, food, and construction materials);
- The investment in RECP technologies.